Sunday, January 3, 2016

Spelling

I am taking Tylenol which is spelled pretty much as it sounds. T-y-l-e-n-o-l. – except there is a y in
there where there could have been an i. To be specific, I am taking Tylenol Arthritis, and the arthritis part is also pretty much spelled like it sounds. A-r-t-h-r-i-t-i-s, although arthrightis could be an alternate spelling if you sounded it out.

The reason I take this stuff is that I have an achy feeling in the joints of the index finger of my left hand and in my left foot. The medicine seems to help as a pain relief. My doctor won’t let me take hardly anything else because Ibuprofen (also spelled pretty much like it sounds) or Anacin or Excedrin (also spelled pretty easy) is because they could bother my liver, or kidneys, or one of those organs hidden in there somewhere.

It all has to do with age. I can think of a benefit of being older and that is one becomes a better speller of words that sound like how they are spelled. The down side is that sometimes mysterious aches creep in.

I don’t remember getting this old. A few weeks ago I decided that I wasn’t as old as I thought I was so I sat down to check. I took my birth year and started counting up decade by decade and depressingly calculated that I was 70 years old. I explained my calculations to my wife.

“Dear, you are 71. This is 2015, not 2014.”

“Holy crap! How did I get to be 71? When did it get to be 2015?”

It is now 2016 and I am still 71. Maybe I am cheating the calendar a little.

Well now, so what am I going to do with my life? I am thinking of entering a Spelling Bee. I can plow right through those show-off kids if I were allowed to enter in a special category: Words That Are Spelled Like They Sound.

8 comments:

  1. I have also been warned not to indulge in too much Tylenol. I am wondering - at what point do I just take the pain relief and suffer the consequences?
    I would love to join you in that spelling bee - leaving spell check behind. Of course, we must take into consideration the location the words are spoken. Southern sounding spelling is quite different from northern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be an excellent speller. But as I bear down on 76(!) I find myself having to rely more and more on The Google. Or maybe I'll just refer my spelling questions to you! (Nice to see you back.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry!! So good to "see" you again!

    My husband and I were just discussing how we came to be the ages we are...seems like only yesterday, I was twenty-five. *sigh* Happy New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry, I've missed you! 71? Not possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i aint reeding no more stuff bout getting olde,,,messiess up my speeleng. glade to see you out and getting around Mr. Jerry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tylenol can kill a dog fast. It is a liver buster for dogs. But my human liver has put up with it for many years. Hitting the 70's is kind of cool. Auto correct has some crazy ideas about spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting old really does suck! The bad part is that I'm still a relatively young person in my head. But all the achy joints I have, keep trying to convince me otherwise. They might just be right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just throw away calculator and forget the date of your birth. Life become much more easier and healthy.

    ReplyDelete